If you’ve been living a plant-powered lifestyle for any length of time, you’ve probably stumbled across Heather Crosby’s brilliant site, YumUniverse. And if you have stumbled across it, you’ve likely gotten swept away and nestled in the awesomeness of Heather’s eye-catching designs, drool-worthy vegan + gluten-free recipes, and effortlessly-charismatic musings. In a world that sometimes makes those who walk a lifestyle path less traveled feel a bit quirky, Heather reminds us that plant-empowered living is cool.
Her cookbook, YumUniverse: Infinite possibilities for a gluten-free, plant-powerful, whole-food lifestyle, is no exception to any of the abovementioned goodness. It’s packed with plant-based info that’s both accessible to those taking their first steps on this journey, yet fresh enough to nab the attention of those who consider themselves to be seasoned veg-heads. The design and layout of the book is attention-grabbing and engaging with oodles of colors and helpful tricks and tidbits. And the recipes? They range from creative staples (I’m looking at you, Toasted Super Seed Power Bread) to unexpected must-makes (Rainbow Veggie Ribbon Alfredo? Gimme, gimme).
In the spirit of the holidays — and chocolate, because the spirit of chocolate is always in the air — there are two pieces of good news today: 1) Heather’s recipe for Hot Fudge Sauce from the book is included below (note: it’s AMAZING), and 2) We’re giving away a copy of YumUniverse + the YumUniverse Holiday Survival Guide eBook (checkout the entry details at the bottom of this post).
And since we’re in the spirit, be sure to checkout Heather’s book, YumUniverse, in bookstores now!
YumUniverse's Hot Fudge Sauce (Vegan, GF)
- 1 3.5- oz . gluten-free, vegan chocolate bar, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch/flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¾ cup Sucanat
- Pinch sea salt
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler heated to medium-high.
- While chocolate melts, in a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk and arrowroot until thoroughly dissolved.
- Whisk cacao powder, coconut oil, Sucanat, and salt into melted chocolate.
- Slowly pour arrowroot and coconut milk slurry into chocolate, whisking constantly until smooth. Continue for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk for one more minute. Serve hot or chill for frosting.
- To enjoy as hot fudge sauce again, simply reheat on the stove top in a pot heated to medium-low. Stir constantly until melted. You don’t want it to burn.
YumUniverse Book Giveaway
One winner will receive a copy of YumUniverse and the YumUniverse Holiday Survival Guide eBook. For a chance to win, simply enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter widget below and comment on this post between December 3rd and December 17th. Please note: this giveaway is only open to residents of the US and Canada.