These vegan peanut butter mousse & chocolate crumble parfaits are fluffy, peanut buttery, creamy, airy, chocolaty, crunchy, and decadent. Basically, they’re what PBC (i.e., peanut butter chocolate) dreams are made of…
These potent little vegan peanut butter parfaits prove that good things are found in the simplest of combinations.
Peanut butter + chocolate = the good stuff.
To make these peanut butter mousse parfaits, you’ll need just 7 ingredients. SEVEN. That’s all that separates you from this glass of fluffy peanut butter decadence…
The chocolate-crumble is made by pulsing together raw buckwheat groats (read: major health perk), cacao or cocoa powder, and pure maple syrup. You want a mixture of crushed groats and whole groats, so go easy on the food-processor pulsing, my friends.
The peanut butter mousse is made by whisking together creamy peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil (the key to setting the mousse and giving it a firm, airy texture), and vanilla extract and pouring that mixture into a bowl of coconut cream. Then, you’ll vigorously whisk the pb mixture into the coconut cream to create a cloud-like blanket of mousse.
Note: I wish clouds and/or blankets were made of peanut butter mousse.
The last step is layering the chocolate crumble and pb mousse in glasses and popping them in the fridge for a quick (but impatience-provoking) hour to set.
This is my new favorite treat, and I can’t get enough of it. I mean, come on…
Peanut Butter Mousse & Chocolate Crumble Parfait (vegan, gf)
These vegan peanut butter mousse & chocolate crumble parfaits are fluffy, peanut buttery, creamy, airy, chocolaty, crunchy, and decadent. Basically, they're what PBC (i.e., peanut butter chocolate) dreams are made of...
For the Chocolate Crumble
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, depending on desired sweetness
For the Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (salted)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To Make the Chocolate Crumble
- Add the buckwheat groats, cacao, and maple syrup to a food processor and pulse 25-30 times to create a crumbly mixture. You want some buckwheat groats left whole and some crushed.
- Transfer to a bowl or container and set aside.
To Make the Peanut Butter Mousse
- Add the coconut cream to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth and evenly blended.
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the coconut cream and whisk together with a hand or stand mixer with whisk attachments. Whisk for 2-3 minutes on high or until smooth and creamy.
To Assemble the Parfaits
- In small glasses or bowls, layer the chocolate crumble and peanut butter mousse. I use a pastry bag to easily pipe the mousse into the glasses.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to set the mousse.
*You can use full-fat canned coconut milk or canned coconut cream, just ensure it's unsweetened. If you use coconut milk, you'll want to open the can and refrigerate it (uncovered) for at least 8 hours or overnight. Then, scoop off the thick cream on the top of the can and discard the watery liquid at the bottom.
**It's best to have your coconut cream, peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract all around similar temperatures before whisking them together. This ensures even blending.