Pumpkin. An obsession that's triggered like clockwork, moving in alongside the first brisk September breeze and lingering until December snowflakes encourage the release of our firm, pumpkin-filled grips.
As I was flipping through the pages of Kathy Hester's latest cookbook, The Easy Vegan Cookbook: Make Healthy Home Cooking Practically Effortless, to decide on a recipe to make and share in this post, I flagged oodles of must-make goodies, including (but not limited to)...
One Pot Veggie Vodka Sauce Pasta, Singapore Mai Fun (Curry Thin Rice Noodles), Sweet Potato Ropa Vieja, Creamy Black-Eyed Pea Southern Quesadillas, All-Natural Carrot Dogs (yes, like hot dogs but with carrots!), Spicy Cauliflower Po' Boy (next on my to-make list), and Applesauce Spice Cake.
The book is packed to its covers' with deliciously-balanced recipes: creative yet easy and quick yet thoughtful. Plus, each and every recipe has a mouthwatering photo to accompany it -- an immediate win in my food-photo-loving heart.
However, it was this recipe for pumpkin hummus that I just couldn't shake as I was putting together my grocery list on Friday evening. It's packed with almost as much pumpkin as it is chickpeas, richly layered with savory spices, and totally snack-able. In total, it took me about 10 minutes to pull together, and that included a few minutes of hemming and hawing about serving gear (i.e., pita, naan, or veggies?) for these photos.
Scroll down to... 1| snag this must-have fall recipe and 2| enter to win your very own copy of The Easy Vegan Cookbook. You can also grab a copy here now.
Pumpkin Hummus from The Easy Vegan Cookbook + A Giveaway!
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 1 ½ cups (300 g) cooked
- ¾ cup (184 g) pumpkin puree (can substitute sweet potato or butternut squash puree)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) nutritional yeast
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cumin, to taste (I used ½ tsp)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon coriander, to taste, optional (I used ¼ tsp)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water, as needed
- Sea salt, to taste (I used ¾ teaspoon)
- Note: I also added 2 tablespoons of tahini to yield a super smooth and creamy hummus.
- Place the chickpeas, pumpkin, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, cumin, paprika, coriander, and cayenne in your food processor. Blend until the chickpeas are pureed (note: I blended until everything was super smooth and creamy). Add in water, one tablespoon at a time, if the mixture is too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasonings; add sea salt to taste.
- Serve with veggies, pita, sweet potato chips, etc.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
The Easy Vegan Cookbook Giveaway
One winner will receive a copy of Kathy Hester’s The Easy Vegan Cookbook: Make Healthy Home Cooking Practically Effortless. For a chance to win, simply enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter widget below and comment on this post between September 30th and October 14th. Please note: this giveaway is only open to residents of the United States.