Puttanesca is a sauce that is traditionally spicy, tangy, salty and, of course, a bit sassy. The ingredients used to create this flavor palette are simple, few in number, and easy to come by, which makes this dish an excellent “throw together” for a weeknight meal. It’s also a great meal accompaniment for a TV night fit for two. Dan and I may or may not be able to vouch for this as we may or may not have watched five straight episodes of Breaking Bad last night. I ask that you please hold your judgments until you’ve watched the show. One word: addicting.
Speaking of addicting, this puttanesca sauce will have you going back for a second (and maybe even third) helping. Best of all, you can keep all indulgence guilt at bay by keeping this tidbit in mind: a heaping serving of this hearty pasta dish squeaks by with a modest 425 calories and is chock-full of heart healthy ingredients. Thus, eat to your heart’s content.
Vegetarian Linguine alla Puttanesca (Serves 4)
Modified from foodnetwork.com
* 12 ounces linguine, cooked according to package (reserve 1/2 cup pasta water)
* 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
* 2 tbsp capers, drained
* 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 4 basil leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
* sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly toasted (1-2 minutes).
2. Add the capers and cook 2-3 minutes.
3. Crush the tomatoes, by hand, into the skillet and reserve the juices. Cook the sauce until the tomatoes become slightly dry (3-4 minutes).
4. Add the white wine, reserved juices, salt and black pepper. Cook until the sauce begins to reduce (10-12 minutes).
5. Put the cooked linguine into a large serving bowl and pour the puttanesca sauce evenly over top. Toss to coat the pasta evenly with sauce. Sprinkle shaved Parmesan and chopped basil over top and serve. Enjoy!