I could probably eat pizza every day of the week. Let me revise that statement: I could definitely eat pizza every day of the week. With an endless list of possible combinations, what is not to love? However, my adoration for pizza and respect for healthfulness tend to stir up some cognitive dissonance from time to time given that this cheese-laden treat can pack a punch with regard to calorie and fat content. Fortunately, from conflict comes resolution. With a little creativity and a few extra minutes searching for ingredients in your grocery store, it's possible to have your health and eat pizza, too. I love pita pizzas, but I think I may have found a new favorite: tortilla pizzas! I happened to catch a glimmer of the Food Network show "Hungry Girl" on Saturday and quickly realized that chef, Lisa Lillien, is one clever lady. She remixed the classic pizza Margherita using a low-calorie, whole-wheat tortilla all while managing to keep it cheesy and crisp. Inspired by this healthier version of a favorite, I decided to remix a pizza that is notoriously unhealthy: Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza. With the help of some reduced-fat cheese, soy chorizo, and a whole-wheat tortilla, it's possible to enjoy a super flavorful and comforting pizza that you can feel good about eating. Move over, pitas, this is the summer of the tortilla pizza.
Blissful Basil's Healthy Santa Fe Pizza (Makes 1 individual pizza)
* 1 whole-wheat tortilla
* ⅓ cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese
* ⅓ cup refried vegetarian pinto beans
* ¼ cup cooked soy chorizo
* 1 medium tomato, diced
* 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place tortilla on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 7 minutes, flipping over halfway through, until crisp.
2. Remove tortilla from oven and let cool. Spread refried beans evenly over top of tortilla. Sprinkle cheese and soy chorizo on top and bake in oven for 6-8 minutes or until cheese has melted.
3. Top baked pizza with fresh tomatoes and cilantro. Drop a dollop of reduced-fat sour cream in the middle or, for a fancier presentation, put sour cream into a ziploc bag, snip a corner with scissors, and pipe the sour cream across the top of the pizza. Serve immediately and enjoy!