This vegan light & crispy southwest tortilla pizza with cilantro-serrano pesto is packed with zesty summer flair. A crisp tortilla crust is slathered with spicy cilantro-serrano pesto and then topped with fresh sweet corn, creamy avocado, juicy cherry tomatoes, and tangy red onion + scallions. This pizza makes the perfect light summer dinner or lunch!
If you're looking for a simple, summery recipe that packs a crunch and a whole lot of flavor, I think I've got just the thing for you.
The base for this pizza is a tortilla (or in this case, a sprouted tortilla) that's toasted in the oven until it's perfectly crisp and willing to welcome an abundance of toppings without becoming the slightest bit soggy. After you've baked your tortilla, you have a choice to make, and I'm not going to make it for you because both options are delicious, and it's just too hard to choose.
Option 1 | you can stop your baking right here, slather your tortilla with a zesty cilantro-serrano pesto, heap on the toppings, and go right in for the crunch.
Option 2 | you can slather on the cilantro-serrano pesto, sprinkle on some vegan cheese, pop the tortilla back in the oven to meld everything together, and then pile on the fresh vegetable toppings.
Option 1 is a bit lighter, and the flavors and textures from the variety of vegetables are the focal point of the pizza. On the other hand, Option 2 is a bit heartier and more pizza-like, and the flavors meld together between layers of gooey, delicious cheese. Neither path is wrong at this pizza-shaped fork in the road. I think the best solution is making two pizzas and sharing with a friend or making two pizzas and sharing with yourself.
Light & Crispy Southwest Tortilla Pizza with Cilantro-Serrano Pesto
- 4 10- inch tortillas (I like to use sprouted grain or gluten-free)
For the Cilantro-Serrano Pesto
- 3 cups packed arugula
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1-3 tablespoons seeded and minced Serrano pepper, depending on desired level of spiciness
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella (optional, not pictured)
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortillas on baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- If you're opting to skip the cheese, spread the crisped tortilla with the cilantro-serrano pesto and top with the fresh vegetables. Slice and serve.
- If you're opting to add the cheese, spread the cilantro-serrano pesto over the crisped tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, and bake another 8-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Then, top with fresh vegetables, slice, and serve.