This vegan late spring vegetable ceviche is made with juicy grape tomatoes, fresh corn, crisp jicama, red pepper, silky mango, zesty red onion, and scallions. The mixture soaks for 2 to 3 hours in a citrus vinaigrette made with lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, serrano peppers, olive oil, and salt. As it marinates, the vegetables soften and become infused with the flavors from the vinaigrette. The result is a salad that looks like confetti and tastes like summer. The jicama adds this amazing crunch and the mango adds just a touch of sweetness to balance the citrus. The perfect summer side!
Back when I still ate fish, ceviche was one of my absolute favorite summer dishes. Traditionally the dish involves raw fish being cured in a mixture of fresh citrus juices until it is firmed up and "cooked". When I first tried ceviche, I fell in love with the brightness of the citrus fruits and the pops of flavor from peppers, cilantro, and onions. Tons of flavor coupled with an array of textures = a summer party in your mouth.
This vegan ceviche is made by combining grape tomatoes, fresh corn, jicama, red pepper, mango, red onion, and scallions. The vegetables (and one fruit) are then soaked for 2-3 hours in a citrus vinaigrette that's made by combining lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, serrano peppers, olive oil, and salt. As it marinates, the mixture becomes infused with all of the flavors from the vinaigrette.
The result is a salad that looks like confetti and tastes like summer. The jicama adds this amazing crunch and the mango adds just a touch of sweetness to balance the citrus. This is the perfect side dish to any burgers you might be cooking up in honor of the upcoming long weekend (hint, hint).
Today's Sound Bite always reminds me of that turning point between spring and summer. It has an uplifting, ethereal sound to it that keeps me repeatedly hitting play. Enjoy!
I hope you all have a safe, wonderful, and sun-soaked weekend! I'll be back on Monday with a sweet treat that
ice screams summer. I'm all about the hints today.
Late Spring Vegetable Ceviche
For the Ceviche
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh corn kernals
- 2 cups peeled and diced jicama
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup diced mango
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup sliced scallions
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 small serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Add the tomatoes, corn, jicama, red pepper, mango, red onion, and scallions to a large bowl.
- Add the cilantro, serrano peppers, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, and salt to a small bowl and whisk together. Pour the citrus vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or longer to let the vegetables soak up the vinaigrette.
- Plate, top with sliced avocado, and serve.