This vegan gf caramel chocolate tart is like a gigantic, round twix bar. Crisp and buttery almond shortbread crust is filled with 5-minute vegan caramel and topped with decadent chocolate ganache.
This twix-like tart is ultra decadent.
A crisp, buttery almond shortbread crust is stuffed with a thick layer of gooey caramel and topped with rich chocolate ganache.
Although it sounds quite complicated and maybe even a little bit fussy, it's actual a humble dessert capable of wowing a crowd. Double threat if I've ever seen (and tasted) one.
To make it, you'll start by preparing the crust.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together almond meal, oat flour, melted coconut oil, a bit of maple syrup, and sea salt until a crumbly dough takes shape. Then, press the dough firmly into a 7-inch tart pan, smoothing it into the bottom and up the sides.
Bake the crust for about 15 minutes, or until the edges just begin to turn golden.
While the crust bakes, you'll prepare the caramel filling.
Simply whisk together a bit of almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt over low heat until smooth, glossy, and caramel-like.
Then, spoon the caramel into the cooled tart shell. If needed, tip the pan back and forth to smooth. Chill the tart for about 15 minutes, or until the caramel layer sets.
While the caramel layer chills, prepare the chocolate ganache.
Add a heap of chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate to a mixing bowl. Then, heat a bit of coconut milk in a saucepan until it's hot but not yet boiling.
Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate chips, let the mixture stand for five minutes, and then whisk until smooth and glossy.
Spoon the chocolate over the surface of the caramel, and use a metal spatula to smooth.
It's important to work speedily here so that the chocolate doesn't set on the chilled caramel before you've finished smoothing.
Transfer the tart to the freezer for one last chill.
Finally, slice and serve.
A small slice goes a long way here, but so does a big piece (if you catch my drift).
I hope this tart finds a special place in your vegan sweets rotation!
Vegan GF Caramel Chocolate Tart
- 1 cup almond flour or almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 recipe 5-Minute Vegan Caramel Sauce*
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- ½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, vigorously shake can before opening or measuring
For the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 7-inch removable bottom tart pan with a circle of parchment paper, grease the sides, and place it on a small baking tray.
- Add all crust ingredients to a large mixing bowl and use a fork to stir and mash together until a crumbly dough is formed.
- Crumble the dough into the tart pan and use your fingers to press it evenly into the bottom and up the sides. The more firmly you press the dough into the pan, the better the crust will hold together after baking. Use a fork to pierce the surface of the crust a few times.
- Bake the crust for 14 to 17 minutes, or until just beginning to turn light golden at the edges. Let cool completely.
For the Caramel Filling
- While the crust cools, prepare the caramel filling.
- Spoon the caramel into the cooled tart shell. If needed, tip the pan back and forth to smooth.
- Transfer the tart to the freezer and chill for 15 to 20 minutes or until set.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- While the caramel layer chills, prepare the chocolate ganache.
- Add the chocolate chips to a medium glass bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk over medium heat until it's steaming hot and simmering, but do not boil. If you accidentally heat it to boiling, let it cool slightly until it's piping hot but no longer bubbling.
- Pour the coconut milk over the chocolate chips and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Spoon the chocolate over the surface of the caramel. Use a metal spatula to gently smooth.
- Transfer the tart to the freezer and chill for 20 minutes to set.