I'm so, so sorry for the wacky posting schedule this week and for missing Wednesday's post. It's been an incredibly busy week filled with all sorts of goodness and craziness, but I promise I'll squeeze in an extra post this weekend or next week to make up for it.
Alright, onward towards this glass of deliciousness...
This smoothie requires just 10 minutes and 5 ingredients, and it yields the most awesomely creamy texture.
It's packed with:
8 grams of protein
And the fact that this smoothie tastes more like a breakfast milkshake? Well, that's just the cherry on top. Couldn't resist.
To make it, you'll start by soaking a few tablespoons of oats in hot water. The water doesn't have to be boiling, just hot enough to permeate the oats so that they soften a bit. Soaking the oats for a quick 5-10 minutes before blending them makes them easier to digest but isn't as time-consuming as cooking a pot of oatmeal. Win-win in my book. You'll add the oats, a frozen banana, frozen sweet cherries, almond milk, and almond butter to a blender. I think you know the next step, but whirl that thing on high for a snappy minute or two, pour into a glass, and drink it down.
The cherries and banana sweeten the smoothie, the oats provide a filling boost of fiber, and the almond butter adds a richness that satisfies.
Cherry, Oat & Almond Butter Smoothie
- 3 tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 to 1 ½ ripe and speckled bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- ⅔ to 1 cup frozen sweet cherries (I use 1 cup)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Add the oats to a small bowl and pour hot water over top. Let the oats soak for 5-10 minutes. Strain off excess water.
- Add the oats, banana, cherries, almond milk, and almond butter to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- If you want the smoothie less cream and a bit colder, add in 3-5 ice cubes and blend again for another minute.
- Pour into a glass, and enjoy.