Remember that post way back on Wednesday? The one in which I mentioned a knee-buckler of a recipe that would put this BBQ sauce to good use? Well, wait no more (I know you were on the edge of your computer chair), because here it is...
This dish is easy to make, satisfying, bursting with flavor, and packs a protein kick thanks to a wild amount of lentils. It's a meal that lures you back in bite after bite, yet it will leave you feeling energized rather than groggy. I've been enjoying it for lunch every day this week and am still craving it. Seriously. There is a wide variety of flavors in this dish so your taste buds won't notice a repeat meal offense... or five.
To make these tasty wraps, you'll cook a whole bunch o' lentils, toss them into a skillet with a bit of onion, and drizzle on an entire batch of this BBQ sauce. Then, you'll stir and simmer for a quick 10 minutes. While the lentils and sauce are simmering, you'll make the tangy slaw by combining spiralized jicama and carrot with cilantro, rice vinegar, sesame oil, a bit of maple syrup, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Then, you'll heap the bbq lentils into lettuce cups or romaine leaves, top with the slaw, wrap, bite, and repeat.
Today's Sound Bite is a feel good tune with inspiring lyrics, smooth vocals, and a hook that beckons a re-listen (or 25 if you're like me). I strongly encourage some head nodding and shoulder shakin' to this one.
BBQ Lentil Lettuce Wraps with Tangy Slaw (vegan, gf)
For the BBQ Lentil Filling
- 1 ½ cups green lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 recipe 10-Minute Sweet & Tangy Maple BBQ Sauce
For the Tangy Slaw
- 2 cups spiralized or julienned jicama*
- 2 cups spiralized or julienned carrots*
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 heads butter lettuce or romaine, washed and leaves separated
To Make the BBQ Lentil Filling
- Add the lentils and water to a medium or large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer (uncovered) for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Drain any excess water and set aside.
- As the lentils are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the cooked lentils and BBQ sauce to the skillet with the onion, stir to combine, reduce heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes to cook off any excess liquid, stirring frequently.
To Make the Tangy Slaw
- Add the jicama, carrots, and cilantro to a large bowl and toss.
- Whisk together the rice vinegar, sesame oil, maple syrup, and sea salt. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and toss to evenly coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Scoop the BBQ lentils into lettuce cups or romaine leaves, top with slaw, and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers.