These vegan and gluten-free crispy quinoa-cauliflower cakes with herbed brazil nut cream are the perfect light lunch or appetizer. They’re served with a dollop of herbed brazil nut cream that takes the flavors to soaring new heights.
Crunchy on the outside.
Light and fluffy on the inside.
To make the cakes, you’ll combine cooked quinoa, grated cauliflower, oat flour, a chia egg, chives, lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, and chili flakes. You’ll scoop the mixture by the quarter cup, form into patties, place on a pan, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. The cakes come out of the oven crispy and golden on the outside and light and tender on the inside.
While the cakes are baking, you’ll make the herbed brazil nut cream by adding soaked brazil nuts, water, chives, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt to a blender. The mixture takes a bit of scraping and several minutes to come together, but the result is a creamy, zesty, and tangy sauce that draws out the flavors in the quinoa-cauliflower cakes. Plus, brazil nuts are one of the few alkaline nuts, and they’re packed with vitamin e, selenium, and thiamin.
I like to serve the cakes with a pretty smear of the herbed brazil nut cream and a lime wedge to spritz over top just before eating. They can also be served over a bed of greens or even on mini buns with the sauce spooned on top to make the perfect sliders.
Quinoa-Cauliflower Cakes with Herbed Brazil Nut Cream
For the Crispy Quinoa-Cauliflower Cakes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, cooked according to instructions
- 2 cups finely grated cauliflower(about 1/2 medium head of cauliflower)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Herbed Brazil Nut Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw brazil nuts, soaked in hot water for 1 hour*
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- lime wedges
To Make the Crispy Quinoa-Cauliflower Cakes
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add the chia seeds and water to a small bowl, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats to food processor, and process for 2-3 minutes or until you have a coarse flour.
- Add the chia egg, oat flour, cooked quinoa, grated cauliflower, chives, lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, chili flakes, garlic, and sea salt to a bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until just mixed.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or silpat. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the mixture. Gently form into a patty and place on baking pan (note: the mixture will be quite wet). Repeat.
- Bake the patties for 30-40 minutes or until golden-brown with crispy exteriors, flipping over halfway through baking (around 20-minute mark).
- Assemble with 3-4 patties per plate and a smear or drizzle of the herbed brazil nut cream. Serve with a lime wedge, and spritz with fresh lime juice before eating.
To Make the Herbed Brazil Nut Cream:
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth (about 4-5 minutes), stopping to scrape down sides as needed.