This vegan shawarma spiced mashed chickpea artichoke salad comes together in 20 minutes flat and makes the perfect energizing grab ‘n’ go lunch throughout the work week.
March is nearly upon us and spring is (maybe? sorta?) in the air.
After making this un-tuna salad four weeks in a row, I decided to get a little jazzy with it.
I threw in some shawarma spice mix I had on hand, added a few additional veggies, tossed in some tangy pepperoncini rings, etc.
The result was different enough and delicious enough that it warranted sharing, and so here you have it. A shawarma spiced version of that original mediterranean (un)tuna salad.
Just like the original, this salad relies on a base of both chickpeas and canned artichoke hearts.
The artichoke hearts add a flaky texture and briny flavor that really ups the realness on the (un)tuna factor.
My favorite part of salad (aside from its deliciousness, of course) is the fact that you can chop almost everything in the food processor.
If you prefer lengthier hand chopping, by all means, chop away. But this is the kind of salad I tend to prep on Sunday along with a few other items I’m cooking in batches, so I opt for efficiency over kitchen pleasantries.
To make this salad, you’ll:
- Pulse a can of chickpeas in the food processor.
- Pulse a can of artichokes in the food processor until flaky. In the original recipe, I suggested pressing as much excess moisture from the artichokes as possible, but I’ve been skipping that step a lot lately. And ya know what? It doesn’t make a huge difference in texture, so I wrote the recipe without that added step.
- Chop the following veggies by hand: mini cucumber, grape tomatoes.
- Chop the following veggies/herbs in the food processor: red onion, kalamata olives, pepperoncini rings, parsley.
- Add everything to a big mixing bowl along with a scoop of vegan mayo, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of shawarma spice mix, and sea salt to taste.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Serve this salad on its own, alongside crackers or baguette slices, or tucked in between hearty slices of multigrain bread or into warm pita pockets.
Easy, nourishing, and so, so satisfying for weekday lunches.
When I have a batch of this in the refrigerator, I look forward to lunch before I’m even finished with breakfast.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.
If you make it, let me know! Leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #blissfulbasil on Instagram.
Shawarma Spiced Mashed Chickpea Artichoke Salad
- food processor
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 mini cucumber, diced
- 1/2 to 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced, to taste
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini rings, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon shawarma spice mix (see note* for recipe link for homemade)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse 5 to 10 times, or until they take on a flaky texture. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Next, add the artichoke hearts to the food processor. Pulse about 10 times, or until they're chopped and take on a flaky texture. Transfer to the serving bowl.
- Stir in the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, olives, pepperoncini, parsley, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and shawarma spice mix. Stir well to combine.
- Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Serve alongside crackers, warm pita bread, or on its own.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.