This chocolate covered cherry smoothie tastes as if a pint of juicy tart cherries were coated in a thick shell of sweet dark chocolate, frozen, and blended into a cool, frosty liquid, only it doesn't require nearly that much time or effort to make. Plus, despite its dessert-like delectability, it's completely appropriate for breakfast.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the CocoaVia® #HeartMonth campaign through the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. All opinions are 100% my own.
This smoothie tastes as if a pint of juicy tart cherries were coated in a thick shell of sweet dark chocolate, frozen, and blended into a cool, frosty liquid, only it doesn't require nearly that much time or effort to make. Plus, despite its dessert-like delectability, it's completely appropriate for breakfast. A win-win in my book.
Just over two years ago (nearly to the date), I shared this recipe for a chocolate covered strawberry smoothie. That chocolaty fruit smoothie is a hidden gem. Despite the fact that it's buried deep within the smoothie archives, it's one that I've continued to crave to this very day. And in honor of my long-term love affair, I figured I'd remix it with cherries and give it a twist or two.
This smoothie garners its rich chocolate flavor from CocoaVia® cocoa flavanols supplement. If you're not familiar with CocoaVia's cocoa extract supplement, here's a quick rundown on the details:
- One stick pack delivers 375 milligrams of cocoa flavanols. If you're thinking "What in the world are cocoa flavanols," then you're in good company because I had the same thought. Cocoa flavanols are powerful plant-based nutrients that have been shown to help support your health on the inside.
- Since traditional cocoa processing includes drying, fermenting, and roasting cocoa beans, it tends to destroy many of the flavanols naturally found in the cocoa bean. However, CocoaVia® uses an extraction process that preserves the flavanols found naturally in cocoa beans, thus delivering the highest concentration of cocoa flavanols per serving in a dietary supplement.
Got all that? Good, because I'm going to test you later. Ha, just kidding. No rigorous exams on my watch, just sweet smoothie making and chocolate-covered-cherry dreaming.
To make this smoothie, you'll add the following goodness to a blender: one frozen banana, a cup of unsweetened plant-based milk, frozen tart cherries or sweet cherries (I prefer tart), a few medjool dates (optional, to sweeten), one packet of Unsweetened Dark Chocolate CocoaVia® supplement, and a splash of vanilla. Then, blend on high until completely smooth, pour into a glass, and get slurping.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie
- 1 ripe and speckled banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- ¾ cup frozen tart or sweet cherries (I use tart cherries)
- 2 to 3 pitted medjool dates, to taste (optional, to sweeten)
- 1 packet CocoaVia® Unsweetened Dark Chocolate supplement*
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, and blend on high until completely smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
*The cocoa flavanols in CocoaVia® are backed by two decades of scientific research that suggests these powerful plant-derived nutrients from cocoa beans may play a valuable role in cardiovascular health.
*Chocolate is a fabulous treat, but it’s not a reliable way to get sufficient quantities of cocoa flavanols. Traditional cocoa processing, which includes drying, fermenting and roasting of beans, destroys many of the flavanols naturally present in the cocoa bean. CocoaVia®supplement isolates the “good stuff” in chocolate in a convenient, versatile form, without all the calories and fat.
· For more information, visit www.CocoaVia.com
†This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.