This vegan butternut squash + sweet potato soup is silky smooth, creamy, and easy to make.
There are so many ways to describe the awesomeness of this soup, but I'll start with silky, creamy, warm, luxurious, sweet, beautiful, savory, and satisfying.
This is contentment in a bowl.
It's one of those meals that will bring a smile to your face and add a spring to your step. This soup is overflowing with good-for-your soul (and health) ingredients, and its bright persimmon hue makes me feel like I'm gazing into a bowl of sunshine. Do you feel the sunshine, too?
This creamy soup is made with a base of butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and a dash of green apples. Warm and sassy spices are layered one after the other to create a complex flavor profile, and a splash of coconut milk sends the creaminess factor through the roof.
I strongly recommend topping this bowl of plant-based goodness with pepitas and radish sprouts. Why? Because they're pretty to look at and up the health factor just one more notch.
To make this soup, you'll start by heating a bit of coconut oil in a large stockpot. If you prefer, you can use a different oil (e.g., olive oil), but I find that coconut oil melds beautifully with the spices in this soup.
Once the coconut oil is melted, add a diced yellow onion and cook until translucent.
Then, stir in cubed butternut squash, sweet potato, green apple, vegetable broth, cinnamon, curry powder, ground ginger, and nutmeg.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
You have two options for the next step: You can use a handheld immersion blender (neater method) or an upright blender (messier method). Either way, blend the soup for several minutes, or until silky smooth.
I like to serve this smooth soup with a bit of crunchy texture on top. My favorite toppings? Pepitas and radish sprouts.
But feel free to get creative. Most nuts and seeds will make a lovely addition.
For sprouts, stick to varieties that are heartier and firmer, and avoid softer types (e.g., alfalfa sprouts).
Butternut Squash + Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (5-6 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (1 cup)
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- optional toppings: pepitas and radish sprouts
- Heat coconut oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-low heat. Add onion to pot and cook until translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add in the butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, vegetable broth, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger, and nutmeg. Gently stir.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender. Turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, begin to pureé the soup, adding in the coconut milk and sea salt after a few minutes. (be patient as it will take 5-8 minutes to get your soup silky smooth depending on the strength of your immersion blender).
- Top as desired and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.