Sweet. Drizzle-able. Pumpkin-infused. Quick. Spiced. Lick-the-jar-clean delicious. This 5-Minute Vegan Pumpkin Spice Caramel is the fall-outfitted sister of this (aka My Happiest Kitchen Accident/Miracle).
If you haven't tried the original caramel yet, please do your taste buds a favor and make that too. It requires just 5 minutes + 5 plant-based ingredients and yields a rich and buttery caramel. I've made it a countless number of times, and it's a recipe I rely on to open people's hearts to the deliciousness of vegan desserts. Try it drizzled over berries with coconut whipped cream (e.g., this recipe). Perfection.
The base for this cool-weather remix is the same as the original: pure maple syrup, natural almond butter (any nut or seed butter will do), virgin coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt. To make way for a bit of pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and everything nice, the almond butter is scaled back a touch. If you can't find pumpkin pie spice, a blend of ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom (optional), nutmeg, and allspice will do the trick too.
To make it, you'll toss those 7 ingredients into a pan and whisk them together over medium-low heat for 3 minutes or until you have a glossy caramel sauce. That's it. No candy thermometer nor anxious monitoring of it and no slaving away over the stove. Just 5 minutes, 7 ingredients.
You can use this caramel warm off the stove or allow it to settle down to room temperature and thicken a bit more. When refrigerated, it takes on a scoop-able texture but can easily be warmed back to it's drizzle-worthy state.
I hope you enjoy this fall-infused variation as much as I do!
5-Minute Vegan Pumpkin Spice Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup natural creamy almond butter
- ⅓ cup virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (depending on how much you want to flavor the caramel)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a small sauce pan, vigorously whisk together the pure maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt over medium-low heat until smooth, glossy, and slightly thickened (approximately 3 minutes). Remove from heat and enjoy as is or let cool to thicken.
- Enjoy over ice cream, apples, or all on its own.
- Refrigerate leftovers. As the caramel cools, it becomes even thicker. Reheat in a sauce pan or enjoy as is.