This vegan coconut milk ranch dressing will make you forget all about the “real” thing. Coconut milk is whisked with shallots, garlic, apple cider vinegar, chives, parsley, basil, dill, sea salt, and black pepper to create a simple, zesty, and ultra creamy ranch dressing. Drizzle this vegan ranch dressing over salads or dip your favorite veggies into it!
Happy Friday, lovelies! Today is a beautiful day for so many reasons, but I’m a bit overjoyed about one thing in particular: Dan and I are heading to St. Lucia for a week of sunshine-infused adventures. We’ve been anticipating this trip all winter long, and I had to pinch myself while
staring into the cotton abyss that is my closet packing the other night because it’s hard to believe that the time for relaxation and warmth is actually upon us. I went ahead and pre-wrote a couple of posts, so be on the lookout for those next week.
Today’s recipe is a knockout, if I do say so myself.
As is the case with this one, sometimes my favorite recipes start off as ideas that wake me up in the middle of the night. When this happens, I’ll startle awake with an idea and groggily reach for my phone so that I can type whatever has come to mind into my recipe notepad before dozing off again. 70-80% of the recipe ideas I think of mid-sleep are declared odd, unappetizing, or guaranteed failures by the time the sun rises (e.g., golden beet cookies, pancakes made only of almond butter and flax seeds — yeah, those would be called almond butter puddles); however, there are about 20-30% that are totally worth a shot and often turn out to be something special.
This tart recipe actually started as an idea that woke me up at 4am on a Thursday morning, and today’s recipe was mentally created in the wee hours last Friday.
For this vegan coconut milk ranch dressing, I used full-fat coconut milk as the base and incorporated a slew of fresh herbs and spices in order to create layers of bright flavor.
It’s the simplest dressing to throw together, and the scent of herbs mingling with one another will have you hovering your face over the bowl just so that you can inhale all that herbaceous awesomeness.
The result is a deliciously thick and creamy dressing that is balanced by fresh chives, parsley, basil, and dill. If you’re not partial to one of the herbs, you can play around with leaving it out and adding more of another, but I found that each of them provided a lovely pop of flavor. This dressing is ideally enjoyed
dumped drizzled over a simple green salad or poured into a bowl to encourage oodles of vegetable-dipping perfection.
Coconut Milk Ranch Dressing
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (do not use light coconut milk)*
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (omit to make the recipe AIP-friendly)
- Open the can of coconut milk or coconut cream. Scoop the coconut cream off the top of the can and add it to a large bowl, leaving the coconut water within the can.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the coconut water into the coconut cream and whisk until smooth (reserve the leftover coconut water, as you may need to whisk in an extra tablespoon or two after refrigerating your dressing depending on your desired thickness).
- Add in the shallots, garlic, apple cider vinegar, chives, parsley, basil, dill, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine and refrigerate dressing for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
- Enjoy this dressing over your favorite salads or dip your favorite vegetables into it!