Falafel Spiced Chickpea Wraps
Pan-toasted, spiced chickpeas are tucked into warm tortilla wraps or pita bread, topped with a simple cucumber-onion slaw, and generously drizzled with cashew yogurt tzatziki sauce.
Servings: 6 to 8 wraps
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
Cashew Yogurt Tzatziki
- ¾ cup plain, unsweetened cashew yogurt or non-dairy yogurt of choice
- 1 mini cucumber, finely grated, juices included
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Toppings + Wrap Base
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives (optional)
- 6 medium tortilla wraps, pita pockets, flatbreads, or large romaine leaves, warmed if desired (I used grain-free chickpea wraps)*
- Hummus (optional)
For the Spiced Chickpeas
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add the chickpeas and sprinkle the cumin, paprika, parsley, coriander, and salt over top.
Sauté for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until begin to turn golden brown and a crust develops.
For the Cashew Yogurt Tzatziki
In a medium bowl or jar, whisk together the cashew yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Toppings + Wrap Base
In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumbers, red onion, parsley (if using), vinegar, and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes (or refrigerate for longer), stirring every few minutes.
To assemble the wraps: (**See note if you're adding hummus.) Spoon a bit of the chickpeas into each wrap. Top with the cucumber + red onion slaw, drizzle with the tzatziki, and garnish with the olives if using. For extra saucy wraps, drizzle with tahini, too.
Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days.
*Keep in mind that the wrapping device you choose will affect how many people the recipe will serve/satisfy. Choose heartier options like pita pockets or flatbreads if you're looking to stretch the recipe out to serve more people.
**To up the protein and creaminess, slather the wraps with hummus before topping with the chickpeas.