Vegan BBQ Tofu Summer Nachos with Pineapple Salsa
These vegan BBQ tofu summer nachos with pineapple salsa are destined to transform your nacho-loving ways. Move over standard nacho toppings and make way for these fresh, vibrant, summer flavors. Crispy, salty tortilla chips are drizzled with smoky chipotle cashew queso and topped with BBQ tofu, pineapple salsa, avocado, cabbage, and scallions.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Course: Appetizer, Snacks
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan
Keyword: cashew cheese, nachos, salsa, Tofu
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoke salt (recommended) or sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional_
- 1 block Nasoya Organic Super Firm Tofu , drained, patted dry, and cut into small cubes (about ⅓-inch cubes)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup vegan barbecue sauce of choice
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ½ medium red onion, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
Nacho Base + Toppings
- 1 recipe Vegan Smoky Cashew Queso
- 6–8 servings sturdy tortilla chips
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
For the BBQ Tofu
Whisk together the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoke salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
Dice the tofu.
Then, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes. Sprinkle the spice mixture over top and use a spoon to toss and evenly coat.
Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the tofu is just beginning to brown.
In a small bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce and water. Pour over the tofu. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and clings to the tofu, tossing occasionally.
For the Pineapple Salsa
Prepare the salsa while the tofu simmers.
In a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, red onion, cilantro, pepper, vinegar, and salt until combined. Refrigerate until serving and assembling.
Prepare the Smoky Cashew Queso (this takes just 5 minutes or sjust before assembling the nachos.
On a large serving platter or baking tray, spread out a layer of tortilla chips and top with the cheese, tofu, salsa, cabbage, and avocado. Repeat, creating two to three layers. Garnish with the scallions.
*If you're using Nasoya's Super Firm tofu, there's no need to press the tofu—it comes pre-pressed. However, if you're using another brand or type of tofu, you'll need to press it for about 20 to 25 minutes.
**If you're making these nachos for yourself or a smaller group, you can make a smaller stack and refrigerate any leftover toppings. Reheat the tofu in a skillet over low heat and reheat the queso in a saucepan over low heat (adding a splash or two of filtered water and whisking to loosen and thin the cheese as needed).