Vegan Curried Chickpea Salad
This vegan curried chickpea salad comes together in 20 minutes or less, requires a short list of easy-to-find ingredients, and is PACKED with flavor. Chickpeas are gently flaked and combined with juicy grapes, scallions, sweet raisins, and a bit of freshly chopped cilantro. The salad gets tossed in a creamy, tangy, and subtly sweet cashew curry dressing. This protein-packed salad is delicious all on its own but for a heartier meal, serve it between two slices of multigrain bread!
- 2 14-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ to ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped, to taste
Creamy Curry Cashew Dressing
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (unless using a high-speed blender)
- ½ cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 scant tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse several times, or until they take on a flaked texture. (If you don't have a food processor, use the back of a fork to gently crush the chickpeas, leaving some of them whole and being careful not to mash too thoroughly.)
Transfer the pulsed chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Add the scallions, raisins, and cilantro (if using).
Prepare the creamy curry cashew dressing. Add the soaked cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, curry powder, maple syrup, and sea salt sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Pour the creamy cashew curry dressing over the chickpea salad and toss to coat. At first, it will seem like there is too much dressing, but the salad will continue to absorb it as it rests.