Vegan Fall Harvest Sandwich
This vegan fall harvest sandwich has all sorts of festive goodness snuggled between thick slices of sourdough. A Dr. Praeger's Kale Veggie Burger is topped with roasted sweet potatoes, vegan chèvre, and cranberry-pear compote. The finishing touch? A handful of peppery arugula.
Servings: 4 sandwiches
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1/2 a pound)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Dr. Praeger's Kale Veggie Burgers
- 8 slices hearty sourdough or multigrain bread, toasted if desired
- Homemade vegan chèvre cheese or store-bought (optional)**
- Baby arugula
For the Sweet Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
Drizzle the sweet potato rounds with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread the rounds into a single layer across the lined baking tray.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender and light golden.
For the Cranberry-Pear Compote
Meanwhile, add the cranberries, pears, maple syrup, water, and cinnamon to a large saucepan. Turn the heat on medium-high and bring to a rapid simmer. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cranberries burst open and the pears begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
Let cool and transfer to a glass jar until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
For the Sandwiches
Bake the Dr. Praeger's Kale Veggie Burgers according to package instructions.
Slather four slices of bread with vegan chèvre (if using). Top each with a veggie burger patty, a few rounds of sweet potato, a spoonful or two of the compote, and a small handful of arugula.
Top each with the remaining bread slices and serve immediately.
*Leftover compote can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 1 month.
**The Herbed Vegan Goat Cheese from this recipe works great.