Lean Green Avocado-Spinach Pesto Pasta with Sautéed Mushrooms (vegan, gf)
This vegan, gluten-free lean green avocado-spinach pesto pasta with sautéed mushrooms comes together in a pinch. With just a small handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes of time, you'll have a nourishing and super flavorful dinner for two.
For the Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and thickly sliced
For the Avocado-Spinach Pesto
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoons raw almonds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lime, halved
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt (I use ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 large zucchini (spiralized) or 8 ounces brown rice fusilli or penne
- large flake sea salt (optional)
To Make the Avocado-Spinach Pesto
Add the flesh of the avocado, spinach, almonds, garlic, juice of the lime, sea salt, and chili flakes to a food processor. Process for 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides as needed, or until smooth and creamy.
If you opt for zucchini noodles, you can serve them raw or cooked. If you want to cook them, simply add them to a large skillet over medium heat, and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add your zucchini noodles or brown rice pasta to a large bowl. Top with desired amount of pesto (I usually have about ¼ cup of leftover pesto), toss to coat, and divide between plates.
Top with mushrooms and a sprinkle of sea salt.