French Lentil, Fennel + Cabbage Detox Salad
This french lentil, fennel + cabbage detox salad is renewing, rejuvenating, and energizing. Packed with protein-packed lentils, detoxifying fennel and cabbage, and calcium-laden tahini, it packs a big nutritional bang for its ultra-flavorful buck.
- 1 cup french lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 large fennel bulb, ends trimmed and and very thinly sliced
- 1 small head of savoy or green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup unsweetened seedless raisins, dried cranberries, or goji berries
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
For the Tahini-Cilantro Dressing (double the amount for post)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons runny tahini
- ¼ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- black pepper , to taste
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges , for spritzing fresh lime juice over the salad when served
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils and water over medium-high heat. Bring to a rapid simmer, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender but not mushy. If needed, add in more water to ensure that the lentils are slightly covered by the water throughout cooking. Once the lentils have finished cooking, strain off any excess water, and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, chop the veggies and make the dressing. Once the veggies are chopped, add them to a large serving bowl along with the raisins. To Make the Tahini-Cilantro Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cilantro, tahini, water, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, maple syrup, pink sea salt, and black pepper.
Once the lentils have cooled a bit, add them to the serving bowl.
Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to coat, sprinkle with the seeds, and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g