Lemony-Garlic White Bean Salad with Hemp Seed Pesto
White beans are sautéed in a garlic olive oil until warm and tossed in a protein-rich superseed pesto sauce. The dish is finished with a bit of peppery baby arugula and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. A single serving of this salad (¼ of the recipe) offers a whopping 17 grams of plant-based protein, 12 grams of dietary fiber, and a generous amount of iron (28% dv), calcium (15% dv), and vitamin c (16% dv). Not too shabby for a bowl of beans, herbs, seeds, and greens.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 recipe Hemp Seed Pesto (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great White Northern beans or Cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 heaping cup baby arugula or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (juice of about ½ lemon)
Prepare the Hemp Seed Pesto (recipe follows).
Add the olive oil and garlic to a large saute pan and heat over medium-low. Cook for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant and softened, stirring frequently. Add the beans and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until warmed through. Stir in the pesto and baby arugula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the arugula just begins to wilt, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and stir in the fresh lemon juice. Taste and add more sea salt and black pepper, if desired.