Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie à la Mode Smoothie
Strawberry-rhubarb compote is blended with raw cashews and topped with a graham-cracker like crumble. The creaminess garnered from raw cashews and the bright tang of the rhubarb, it has an alluring cheesecake flavor. On the other hand, it's also reminiscent of strawberry-rhubarb pie à la mode when the vanilla ice cream has melted and woven itself throughout those last few glorious bites.
Servings: 2 (12-ounce) smoothies
- 1 heaping cup large-diced ( about ½-inch pieces) fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- ½ to ¾ cup ice cubes, to taste (to cool)
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 15 minutes and drained
- 3 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (to brighten)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
Crushed Cashew "Crust" Topping (Optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ⅛ scant teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
For the Smoothie
In a medium saucepan, stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, maple syrup, and cardamom over medium-low heat. Rapidly simmer for 3 minutes or until the juices release and the fruit begins to soften. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the fruit is very tender and begins to fall apart, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
Add the strawberry-rhubarb mixture, Silk Almondmilk, ice, cashews, dates, lemon juice, vanilla, and sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy.
For the Cashew Streusel Topping (Optional)
Prepare the topping while the strawberry-rhubarb mixture is cooking. In a small food processor, combine the raw cashews, coconut sugar, and sea salt; and process for 10 seconds or until the mixture takes on a fine streusel texture.