Easy Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
This easy vegan Italian pasta salad is packed with veggies. Think juicy cherry tomatoes, salty black olives and sun-dried tomatoes, silky roasted red peppers, tangy marinated artichokes, fine threads of crisp red onion, and just a touch of fresh herbs for a pop of green goodness. A hearty, gluten-free fusilli serves as the perfect base, mingling with the veggies and a zesty Italian vinaigrette in the best of ways. The finishing touch? Heaps of salty vegan parmesan.
Servings: 6 side servings
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers, julienned
- ½ cup jarred marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup quartered and thinly sliced red onion
- Handful flat-leaf parsley and/or basil leaves, minced
- 8 ounces truRoots Organic Ancient Grain Fusilli
- ⅓ cup raw almonds or cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- Homemade Italian Dressing (see below) or your favorite store-bought Italian dressing or balsamic vinaigrette, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring a pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. (As they say, your pasta water should be as salty as the sea.)
Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables and herbs (i.e., tomatoes through parsley) and add to a large serving bowl.
Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package instructions. Strain.
Meanwhile, prepare the vegan parmesan. To the bowl of a small food processor, add the nuts, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic clove, and sea salt. Process for 15 seconds, or until ground into a texture that resembles finely grated parmesan cheese.
Prepare the dressing (recipe below).
Add the pasta to the serving bowl with the veggies and herb/s.
Top with as much of the dressing and vegan parmesan cheese as desired (any leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 1 week). (I usually add a little more than half of the homemade dressing recipe and about half of the vegan parmesan.)
Toss to coat and combine.
Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper, if desired.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Serve chilled.