Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
This vegan butternut squash coconut curry is packed with warming spices and comes together with just 15 minutes of active kitchen preparation.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- 2 15- ounce cans light coconut milk
- 1 medium butternut squash,peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 16ths
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 4-6 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving
Heat olive oil in dutch oven or stock pot over medium-low heat. Add in the onion and garlic and cook until tender (approximately 5 minutes).
Add the curry powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper, and salt to the pot.
Pour in the coconut milk and whisk to distribute the spices.
Add in the butternut squash and tomatoes and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork-tender.
Stir in the chopped cilantro with about 5 minutes left of simmering time.
To increase the thickness, I recommend transferring two ladles of the mixture to a blender, blending for 10-15 seconds and returning the blended mixture to the pot.
Ladle the mixture over heaps of brown rice and serve.