Simple Eggplant + Tomato Sauce
This simple eggplant + tomato sauce has a surprising addition: cinnamon! The combination of cinnamon and cilantro adds warmth and freshness to this hearty pasta sauce.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr 35 mins
- 1 small eggplant, washed and sliced into 2x1-inch thick pieces (leave skin on)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 plum tomatoes, cut into 16ths
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 8 ounces pasta or grain of choice, cooked
Spread the eggplant pieces out over a baking sheet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sea salt. Let the eggplant "sweat" for at least 30-45 minutes. Rinse salt off completely and pat the eggplant dry.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add in the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
Add in the tomatoes, eggplant, tomato sauce, cilantro, cinnamon, paprika, cayenne, and sea salt. Simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over pasta or grain of choice (I used brown rice linguine).