Vegan Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Bread
This vegan pumpkin cranberry pecan bread is a festive addition to any Thanksgiving spread. A spiced spelt pumpkin loaf is dotted with crunchy pecans and chewy cranberries.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 12 slices
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup Stevia In The RawⓇ Bakers Bag
- 1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil (substitute grapeseed oil for a non-coconutty taste)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
Cinnamon Glaze (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 5 x 10 loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Then, whisk in the remaining wet ingredients (i.e., pumpkin purée, almond milk, Stevia In The RawⓇ, coconut oil, and maple syrup).
Stir the sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cranberries, pecans, and spelt flour into the wet mixture, one by one, in the order listed. Stop stirring when there are no flour patches at the bottom of the bowl. Be careful not to overmix—spelt has a delicate gluten structure, so overmixing will result in dry, crumbly bread. The batter should be quite thick and fluffy.
Scoop the batter into the lined pan and use a spatula to gently smooth the top.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs at the tip.
To make the cinnamon glaze (if using), whisk together the powdered sugar, filtered water (start with 2 tablespoons and add more as needed to thin to a thick but drizzle-able consistency), and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled loaf and allow it to stand at room temperature until set.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.