Vegan Walnut-Lentil Chorizo
This vegan walnut-lentil chorizo is rich with flavor and incredibly versatile. It can be tucked into tacos, burritos, tamales, power bowls, etc.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown lentils, sorted through and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup raw walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, oil thoroughly drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils and three cups of water over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil, decrease the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender but not at all mushy.
Meanwhile, add the walnut pieces, sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, cumin, thyme, sea salt, and cayenne pepper, and cinnamon to the bowl of a large food processor.
Once the lentils are ready, strain off any excess water and add them to the bowl of the food processor, too.
Pulse several times, or until the sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts are finely chopped and the mixture resembles a moist crumble.
Serve the chorizo on its own, in salads, or in tacos, burritos, tamales, etc.