Sweet Potato Power Smoothie
This vegan sweet potato power smoothie packs a punch of immunity-boosting vitamins and minerals and is rich with fall flavor. Sweet potato purée is blended with frozen bananas, frozen cauliflower (see this post for more information about this surprising smoothie addition), almond milk, dates, almond butter, and a dash of cinnamon. The result is a thick, frosty fall smoothie that nourishes just as much as it satisfies.
Servings: 2 (12-ounce) smoothies
- 2 ripe and speckled bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 3/4 to 1 cup canned sweet potato purée, to taste*
- 1 heaping cup frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus more only if absolutely needed to encourage blending**
- 2 soft, sticky Medjool dates, pitted (optional for a sweeter smoothie)
- 1 tablespoon drippy almond butter**
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, and blend on high until smooth, stopping as often as needed to scrape down the sides. You'll want to add as little almond milk as possible to maintain a thick, frosty texture. Patience is a virtue here—just keep stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, and you'll be rewarded with a delightfully thick, shake-like treat.
Pour into a glass (or two).
*Feel free to substitute unsweetened pumpkin purée for the sweet potato purée if that's what you have on hand.
**No Nuts? No Problem. To keep this smoothie nut-free, simply swap out the almond milk for a nut-free plant-based milk (e.g., soy milk, oat milk, hemp milk, etc.) and swap out the almond butter for sunflower butter.
***For a protein boost, add 1 to 2 scoops of pure pumpkin seed protein. This adds a whopping 9–19 grams of complete protein to the smoothie.