Vegan Spicy Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos
These vegan spicy scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are simmered in a flavorful base of smoky spices, peppers, and tomatoes. The savory filling is scooped into warm corn tortillas and topped with creamy avocado mash and tangy hot sauce. This simple breakfast dish comes together in a speedy 30 minutes, which makes it a perfect leisurely weekday spread or quick weekend brunch.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 people
Spicy Scrambled Tofu
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 large jarred roasted red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) block sprouted firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime, more or less to taste
Base + Toppings
- 8–10 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and mashed with sea salt + lime juice to taste
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
For the Spicy Scrambled Tofu
In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the poblano pepper and red onion, and sauté for 4–6 minutes, or until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, add the Roma tomatoes to a blender and pulse several times to chop and purée. You want them to be thoroughly chopped yet maintain a bit of texture. Set aside.
Add the roasted red pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt to the pepper and onion mixture. Continue to sauté for 1 minute, or until the spices begin to bloom and become fragrant.
Stir in the Roma tomatoes, and crumble in the tofu. Simmer for 10–12 minutes, or until the liquid reduces, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the lime juice and continue to simmer for just 1 more minute. Then, turn off the heat.
Taste and season with more sea salt if desired. (I usually add another 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon. Proper seasoning is essential to a flavorful tofu scramble and while you certainly don't want to over-season, don't be too shy with the sea salt.)
Scoop a bit of the tofu filling into each warm tortilla. Top with a dollop of mashed avocado, a bit of cilantro (if using), and a few dashes of hot sauce (if using).
Leftovers can be refrigerated in separate containers for up to 2 days.