Vegetable Burrito Bowls with Cauliflower Rice
This burrito bowl is a veggie-fied remix on the classic. Cauliflower rice fills in for brown/white rice, and it gets a hearty twist with the addition of black beans and a sprinkling of cilantro. Sautéed peppers and onions offer a tender bite and a substantial quality to this bowl. A quick pico de gallo offers eye-catching colors and brightness. A dollop of guacamole brings a bit of richness. And the final touch? A tangy plant-based sour cream made by blending raw sunflower seeds with water, fresh lemon juice, and sea salt. The sour cream weaves throughout the other elements and melds the flavors together.
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into 1/3-inch-thick strips
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into strips
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely-diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 small avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 batch Sunflower Sour Cream (see recipe below)
- Lime wedges, for garnishing (optional)
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the peppers, onions, and sea salt over medium heat. Cook for 14 to 16 minutes or until veggies are tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, add the cauliflower florets, cilantro, and lime juice to a food processor and pulse 30 to 40 times to rice the cauliflower. In another large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the riced cauliflower mixture and sea salt. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and just barely turning golden, stirring occasionally. Add the black beans, and cook another 2 minutes to heat.
In 2 to 3 bowls, divide the cauliflower rice, peppers and onion, pico de gallo, and guacamole. Drizzle with sunflower sour cream and serve.