This vegan everything bagel breakfast pizza is a simple, plant-powered twist on the classic lox, cream cheese, and bagel combination. Pizza dough is brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning, and baked to perfection. The warm dough receives a generous smear of vegan cream cheese and is then topped with smoked carrot lox, red onion, and capers.
In my breakfast world, there are few things more satisfying than a doughy bagel toasted and smeared with a thick layer of cashew cream cheese.
Before I went vegan, I'd add to that basic bagel combination a plentiful heap of salty lox, a few fine threads of thinly sliced red onion, and a sprinkling of briny capers.
I'm not sure which brilliant chef/blogger first came up with the concept of carrot lox (it certainly wasn't me), but we should thank our lucky stars for that highly creative soul.
If you've yet to try carrot lox, please promise me you won't wait much longer. It's simple to make and a truly delicious addition to bagels and cream cheese (and breakfast pizza, too).
To make this simple vegan breakfast pizza, you'll start by preparing the carrot lox.
FYI, large and thick carrots work best for this recipe, so keep an eye out for those.
Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots and then shave them lengthwise into long, ribbon-like strips. Place the carrot ribbons on a piece of foil, sprinkle generously with smoked salt (or regular sea salt if you prefer), and wrap them tightly. Then, bake for about 20 minutes, or until the ribbons are tender but not mushy.
Next, get to work on the dough.
For ease and simplicity, go on and use some store-bought pizza dough. On the other hand, if you've got an extra spring in your cooking step, perhaps you'll opt to prepare homemade pizza dough. Either works great, so go with whichever's flowing to you in the moment.
Spread the dough out, brush it with olive oil, and generously sprinkle the surface with Everything Bagel seasoning (i.e., sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, sea salt).
Then, bake until desired doneness is reached.
While the carrots and dough bake, prepare the other elements...
Thinly slice a bit of red onion, drain the capers, and chop the fresh herbs (if using).
Once the dough has finished baking, slather it generously with vegan cream cheese and top with the carrot lox, red onion, capers, and herbs.
Slice the breakfast pizza and serve immediately.
Vegan Everything Bagel Breakfast Pizza
- 5 large carrots, peeled
- Smoked sea salt, to taste
- 24 to 26 ounces store-bought pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Everything Bagel seasoning, store-bought or homemade
- 8 ounces store-bought or homemade vegan cream cheese*
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Capers, drained, to taste
- Small handful flat-leaf parsley or chives, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the carrots lengthwise into ribbons. Sprinkle with the smoked sea salt and toss to coat.
- Wrap the carrots in a piece of foil to create a packet and place the packet on a small baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Increase the heat to 425F.
- Roll the pizza dough out into a circle or rectangle on a sheet of parchment paper. Brush the top with olive oil, and generously sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake the pizza dough for 12 to 16 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached. Let cool until just barely warm to the touch.
- Spread the cream cheese over the nearly cooled crust. Top with the carrot lox, red onion, capers, and parsley or chives (if using).
- Slice and serve immediately.
Brittany Audra @ Audra's Appetite says
Everything bagel seasoning on pizza?! Genius idea! :)
Ashley Hoober says
what a cool and amazing recipe!
Celeste Jackson says
This is my kind of lox & bagels! Looks delicious. Can't wait to try it!
Edward Parker says
It look delicious. I will try and share my feedback with you. Thanks for sharing.