This vegan caramel apple crumble pie is the epitome of fall comfort desserts. A buttery spelt and coconut oil crust is topped with heaps of spiced Granny Smith apples and mounds of oat-packed crumble. This simple apple pie can be dressed up for the holidays or dressed down for a relaxed Sunday dinner with family.
If this pie could talk, it would tell you about the frustration and struggle behind its existence.
Several trials in, I nearly gave up on this recipe. I’d come up with a pie that was good but not great, and it’s important to me to only share recipes with you that I love enough to make time and time again. Many attempts in, and I still hadn’t gotten to that place with this pie.
So I hung up the ol’ kitchen towel on it for a few weeks, thinking I’d probably never return to it again.
But then, I did. I made it again and again and again until I got it just right (and then once more for good luck).
My mom thought I was crazy as I’d sent her home from her Wednesday visits with apple pie multiple weeks in a row. Being a supportive mom, she’d thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
Mom: “I thought the one you made last week was delicious.”
Me: “I know, mom, and I appreciate your kind words, but try this week’s attempt and you’ll understand why I kept at it.”
And she did.
Mom: “Oh yes, this one is the winner. I get it now.”
Moral of the story: If at first your apple pie is mediocre, try, try, try again until you get it juuust right.
Vegan Caramel Apple Crumble Pie
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 pounds Granny Smith (about 5 medium, peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup white spelt flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 recipe 5-minute vegan caramel
For the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with a circle of parchment paper and lightly grease the sides.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to stir together the spelt flour and sea salt. Then, stir/mash in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to the lined pan and use your fingers to press it evenly into the base. Use a fork to poke holes in the surface to allow the crust to vent.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, or until very light golden in color. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Leave the oven on.
For the Filling
- Add the apples, maple syrup, spelt flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt to a large mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- Spoon the apple filling over the slightly cooled crust, drizzling any residual liquid over top.
For the Oat Crumble
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the spelt flour, rolled oats, coconut oil, maple syrup, and sea salt until combined.
- Glob (I know, very proper term) the "crumble" over the apple layer.
- Place the springform pan on a large baking tray (this will catch any drippings from the pan). Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until the crumble topping is light golden brown and feels crisp to the touch, and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Let cool slightly.
- Slice and serve with generous drizzles of the caramel.