Cool sweet potato nice cream is whirled to creamy perfection and topped with a sweet-n-savory cinnamon-sunflower crumble topping. This sweet potato breakfast nice cream with cinnamon-sunflower crumble comes together in a speedy 15 minutes. And while you can certainly enjoy this treat for dessert, there’s something magical about eating ice cream for breakfast.
Can someone please explain to me how it’s already Friday??
This was supposed to be Wednesday’s post and today’s post was supposed to be a cookie recipe, but the week got away from me and Wednesday’s post was skipped altogether. Whew. Where ya going, time?
Despite the work-week time warp, this was one of the most productive, fun-filled, and exciting work weeks in recent memory. Lots of time was spent on book-related to-do’s and there were a handful of fun projects and features mixed in too.
On Monday, I did an Instagram takeover for Oh She Glows; on Tuesday, I got word that the Blissful Basil cookbook was featured in the holiday issue of VegNews (p. 22! Hugs and gratitude to Kaitlin over at The Garden Grazer for discovering the feature); and on Wednesday, a podcast interview I did a few weeks back went live.
Both the Instagram takeover and podcast interview were just far enough outside my comfort zone to bring a healthy dose of discomfort to the surface. By stepping into slightly unknown territory, I pushed myself to grow in new ways and came out the flip side feeling empowered.
I have to admit, I was surprised that the lingering bit of perfectionist in me agreed to a podcast interview given that there would be no way to prepare for it or guarantee “perfection”. In the past, she would have stomped all over the idea with her naysayer ways without a second thought. Maybe she’s grown wiser… or perhaps she’s just realized how much sweeter life is when she loosens her grip on its reins.
It’s strange to think that despite sharing so many stories here on the blog, most of you have never heard my voice. If you’d like to listen to the interview, you can find the recording in iTunes, listen here, or even listen below if you’d like. Was I “perfect”? No. I was myself, and I’m proud of that.
In the episode, I share…
- My journey to becoming vegetarian and then vegan (including the catalysts that spurred the transitions).
- The unexpected benefits I’ve experienced by eating more whole, plant-based foods.
- The perks of maintaining an attitude of flexibility and self-compassion within the lifestyle.
- My philosophy on happiness, joy, and contentment and the choices that fuel an overall sense of wellness.
- Insights into my upcoming cookbook (due out December 20, 2016)!
So, this sweet potato breakfast nice cream…
Every now and then, a strange recipe idea will pop into my mind, and I’m all like, Who am I to judge you, you odd little recipe idea you?
And so I scribble down those crazy ideas and store them away until I finally get around to testing them in the kitchen. Many times, the recipes turn out just as I had initially suspected: strange.
But once in a blue moon, the stars align and that seemingly strange idea comes to life in the most delicious way. This was one of those rare but lovely instances.
Cool sweet potato nice cream is whirled to creamy perfection and topped with a sweet-n-savory cinnamon-sunflower crumble topping.
The entire recipe comes together in a speedy 15 minutes, and while you can certainly enjoy this treat for dessert, there’s something much more magical about eating ice cream for breakfast.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Nice Cream with Cinnamon-Sunflower Crumble
- 1/3 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower butter
- 2 teaspoons filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 fine grain sea salt, to taste
Sweet Potato Nice Cream
- 3 ripe and speckled bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup canned sweet potato purée
- 1 tablespoon sunflower butter or almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch fine grain sea salt
For the Cinnamon-Sunflower Crumble
- Add the sunflower seeds to a food processor and process for 30 seconds, or until ground into a fine meal. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and add the rolled oats, coconut sugar, sunflower butter, water, cinnamon, and sea salt. Use the back of a spoon to mash the sunflower butter into the other ingredients until thoroughly combined into medium-size crumbles.
For the Sweet Potato Nice Cream
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth with a soft-serve like texture, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spoon or scoop the nice cream into 2 bowls and top with a few spoonfuls of the crumble. Serve immediately.