Ic cream for breakfast? Mmhmm. Vegan strawberry swirl breakfast ice cream, that is.
A big bowl of the good stuff with a pretty pink swirl...
No surprises here, this vegan strawberry breakfast ice cream is made by blending fresh strawberries and frozen bananas. That's it. If you haven't tried banana ice cream yet, it's about time you hopped on the bandwagon. Often referred to as "nice cream," this whole food, plant-based alternative is surprisingly delicious and can be remixed and reworked in countless ways. It's cold, creamy, and thick with just the right amount of sweetness.
Added perk? Bananas are one of the best mood-boosting foods thanks to their tryptophan and B6 content. How do these two positively affect mood? Carbohydrates (e.g., sweet bananas) allow the brain to absorb tryptophan, and B6 swoops in to help convert tryptophan to serotonin. There are few foods that I feel an instant energy and mood boost from but bananas are one of them. I've been known to bound around the house and pop into obscure yoga poses after a late night bowl of banana ice cream. Dan calls this "the banana high". I don't disagree.
Quick recap: Ice cream + a side of happiness for breakfast? I'll take two, please.
To make this vegan strawberry breakfast swirl ice cream treat, you'll start by making the swirl. Add fresh strawberries, dates, a bit of water, and chia seeds to a blender, and blend until smooth. The chia seeds thicken the mixture so that it can be easily swirled into the strawberry "ice cream".
Next, you'll add strawberries and frozen bananas to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. You want it to maintain its thickness, so avoid adding water if you can. I like to use a food processor because my blender isn't powerful enough to blend frozen bananas without adding liquid. Of course the downside is having to clean a blender and a food processor, but I promise it's worth the extra scrubs and rinses.
Scoop the "ice cream" into a bowl, and dot the top of it with the strawberry chia swirl. Use a toothpick or the end of a chopstick to create swirls of the jam throughout the bowl.
Grab a spoon and dive into this big bowl of sweetness.
Strawberry Swirl Breakfast Ice Cream
For the Strawberry Chia Swirl
- ¾ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 dates, pitted*
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated beet (for color), optional
For the Strawberry-Banana Ice Cream
- 2 large frozen bananas
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
Optional Topping Ideas
- sliced strawberries
- hemp hearts
- coconut flakes
To Make the Strawberry Chia Swirl
- Add the strawberries, dates, water, and chia seeds to a blender, and blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. If you want to enhance the pink hue, add the grated beet and blend for another 20-30 seconds. Let stand at room temperature or refrigerator for 10 minutes to thicken.
- This makes enough for 3-4 servings, so refrigerate leftovers to use later in the week.
To Make the Strawberry-Banana Breakfast Ice Cream
- Add the bananas and strawberries to a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend or process until the mixture is creamy but still thick, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. If needed, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time to assist blending, but try to avoid if possible.
- Transfer the "ice cream" to a bowl. To create the swirl, use a small spoon to dot the top of the ice cream with the strawberry-chia jam. Use a toothpick or the end of a chopstick to create swirl patterns in the bowl.
- Sprinkle with additional toppings, if desired.