This vegan strawberry-rhubarb pie à la mode smoothie is a dream. Strawberry-rhubarb compote is blended with raw cashews and topped with a graham-cracker like crumble. The creaminess garnered from raw cashews and the bright tang of the rhubarb, it has an alluring cheesecake flavor. On the other hand, it's also reminiscent of strawberry-rhubarb pie à la mode when the vanilla ice cream has melted and woven itself throughout those last few glorious bites.
This post is sponsored by Silk. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Rich and dreamy.
And packed to the brim with strawberries and rhubarb.
This strawberry-rhubarb smoothie has got it alllll going on. So much so, that it was difficult to give it a name. "Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Smoothie" turned into "Strawberry-Rhubarb Cheesecake Smoothie" which ultimately turned into "Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie à la Mode Smoothie". To be honest, its flavors gracefully dance between those last two.
Between the creaminess garnered from raw cashews and the bright tang of the rhubarb, it has an alluring cheesecake flavor. On the other hand, it's also reminiscent of strawberry-rhubarb pie à la mode when the vanilla ice cream has melted and woven itself throughout those last few glorious bites. But no matter the name, one thing is absolutely certain: this smoothie is a special one.
To make it, you'll start by making a speedy (10-minute) strawberry-rhubarb compote by simmering a combination of fresh strawberries, rhubarb, pure maple syrup, and ground cardamom until the fruit is tender.
As the compote cooks, you'll make an optional crushed cashew "crust" topping by pulsing together raw cashews, coconut sugar, and sea salt in a small food processor until it resembles streusel. Although the topping is optional, it adds the most amazing pie-like quality to this smoothie that you won't want to miss.
Once the compote is ready, you'll add it to a blender along with Silk Almondmilk, a handful of ice cubes, soaked raw cashews, a few medjool dates (to sweeten), fresh lemon juice (to brighten), vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt (to make those flavors *pop*).
Blend until super smooth and creamy. Then, pour it into two glasses (one for you, one for a kind friend), and sprinkle the "crust" topping over the surface of each smoothie. If you're feeling extra fancy, go on and layer the crushed "crust" topping with the smoothie—lookout, world!
Drop in a straw and slurp to your heart's content. ♥ Sweet strawberry-rhubarb pie à la mode wrapped up in a glass.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie à la Mode Smoothie
- 1 heaping cup large-diced ( about ½-inch pieces) fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- ½ to ¾ cup ice cubes, to taste (to cool)
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 15 minutes and drained
- 3 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (to brighten)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
Crushed Cashew "Crust" Topping (Optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ⅛ scant teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
For the Smoothie
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, maple syrup, and cardamom over medium-low heat. Rapidly simmer for 3 minutes or until the juices release and the fruit begins to soften. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the fruit is very tender and begins to fall apart, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
- Add the strawberry-rhubarb mixture, Silk Almondmilk, ice, cashews, dates, lemon juice, vanilla, and sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy.
For the Cashew Streusel Topping (Optional)
- Prepare the topping while the strawberry-rhubarb mixture is cooking. In a small food processor, combine the raw cashews, coconut sugar, and sea salt; and process for 10 seconds or until the mixture takes on a fine streusel texture.
- Pour the smoothie into two glasses and top with as much of the cashew "crust" topping as desired. Serve immediately.