This pretty pink beet, blackberry & oat smoothie was specifically crafted and tweaked to yield this pretty shade of pink. Not because pink is my favorite color (because it isn’t, blue is), but because the wintry weather and bleak landscape of a Chicago January elicit cravings for bright, bold colors.
A couple spoonfuls of fresh beets and a small handful of blackberries are all that’s needed to offer this smoothie that lovely pink hue. However, if you want to up the nutritional ante, go on and ramp up the beets and blackberries. I certainly won’t stop you.
To make this tall glass of loveliness, you’ll start by soaking rolled oats in boiling water for just 10 minutes to soften and make them easier to digest. Then, you’ll add the soaked oats to a blender along with frozen bananas, almond milk, blackberries, beets, almond butter, and a splash of vanilla (if you’d like).
Give it a quick blend until smooth, and pour yourself a pretty pink glass of goodness.
Pretty Pink Beet, Blackberry & Oat Smoothie
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 ripe and speckled bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (about 5 to 6 blackberries)*
- 2 tablespoons fresh peeled and finely-diced beet*
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rolled oats and boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes to soften the oats. Strain and rinse.
- Add the soaked oats, frozen bananas, almond milk, blackberries, grated beet, almond butter, and vanilla (if using) to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.