This isn’t your ordinary vegan avocado toast. This is fancy avocado toast. Fancy avocado toast has allll the things. Think: Mashed or sliced avocado, pickled onions, cashew cream, dijon mustard, micro greens, and everything bagel seasoning. Grab your most perfectly ripe avocados and let’s get toastin’.
There’s a trendy vegetarian cafe in our town called Pine Food Company. Check ’em out here.
Dan, Sloane, and I stopped by for green juice and a bite to eat a few weekends ago. I ordered my favorite green juice and decided to give their “Avo Toast” a go, too.
Like any good vegan/basic millennial, I’ve had many helpings of avocado toast in my day. And so it takes something special to entice me to order it while dining out.
Pine Food’s avocado toast intrigued me though. Mostly for its inclusion of dijon mustard. That was a first in my avo-toast-loving world. Oh yes, and pickled onions. Pickled veggies of any sort are quite persuasive with my taste buds.
And so I gave it a go half expecting it to be weird, half holding out faith that it’d be the sort of combination I’d be making a homemade variation of for years to come.
I’m sure you know which it ended up being.
The creamy avocado paired with the tangy pickled onions + the zesty dijon and bit of sweetness from the cashew cream all finished off with a sprinkling of seeds and a mound of microgreens? I was carrying on about that delicious avocado toast for the rest of the day.
I knew that if it had the power to bring that much joy to my day, it’d probably bring some to yours, too. And so I’m here to spread the fancy avo toast joy with you.
It’s a near perfect knock-off of Pine Food Company’s Avo Toast with two exceptions:
- I used everything bagel seasoning in place of their “seed mix”.
- I wrote the recipe with options for both mashed avocado or sliced avocado.
Because #2 is a constant point of loving contention in our home. Dan is a die-hard mashed avocado guy. I’m a slice it and artfully fan it kinda gal.
And so whether you’re avo-toast-particular or not, you too have the option to choose.
Make it for breakfast. Make it for brunch. Make it for lunch or even for dinner.
Just promise me you’ll make it. This one’s too good to miss.
Is it just me or did this bit above cause the old bagel bites jingle to start winding around in your head, too?
🎶…Avo toast in the morning, avo toast in the evening, avo toast at supper time… 🎶
Fancy Avocado Toast
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- White vinegar, as needed
- Filtered water, as needed
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours and rinsed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup filtered water
Avocado Toast + Other Toppings
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, to taste, pitted and peeled*
- Juice of 1/4 to 1/2 lime or to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 large slices or 4 small slices of multigrain or seeded bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard, to taste**
- Everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds, to taste
- Microgreens, to taste
For the Pickled Onions
- Add the sliced onion to a glass jar.
- Fill the jar about two-thirds of the way full with white vinegar. Fill the remaining one-third with water.
- Add a generous pinch of sea salt, secure lid, shake, and refrigerate for at least four hours but preferably overnight.
- Keep refrigerated.
For the Cashew Cream
- Add the soaked cashews and filtered water to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for two minutes, or until completely smooth. (Start with 1/3 cup filtered water and add more if needed to facilitate blending.)
- Transfer to an airtight jar or container and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
For the Avocado Toast
- You have two options here: You can thinly slice the avocado or mash it.
- For mashed avocado toast: Add the avocado to a small mixing bowl. Use the back of a fork to mash it to desired consistency. Stir in lime juice and sea salt, to taste. Generously slather each piece of toast with the mashed avocado.
- For sliced avocado toast: Thinly slice the peeled avocado. Fan it out over each piece of toast. Squeeze a bit of lime juice over each and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Top with pickled onions and drizzle with cashew cream and dijon mustard**, to taste.
- Garnish with everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds. Finish with a sprinkling of microgreens.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftover toppings.