There’s nothing quite like a plate full of pretty tacos in the summertime.
These rainbow-hued crunchy chickpea tacos are from The PlantPure Nation Cookbook, which is a companion to the upcoming documentary film, The PlantPure Nation. The film — from the producers of Forks Over Knives and T. Colin Campbell’s son, Nelson — follows the efforts of three individuals in their quest to sidestep the silencing efforts of industry lobbyists and spread the message about the health benefits and healing effects of a plant-based diet.
The PlantPure Nation Cookbook, written by Kim Campbell, boasts an impressive 150+ plant-based recipes. Kim has been cooking plant-based meals for more than 25 years, and her ability to create delicious, affordable, and balanced plant-based meals is impressive. The book begins with a forward written by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and bestselling author of The China Study, and unfolds into chapter after chapter of enticing plant-based recipes, including Breakfast and Brunch; Breads; Snacks and Appetizers; Dips and Spreads; Salads; Sauces, Marinades, and Dressings; Spices and Toppings; Sandwiches, Burgers, and Wraps; Entrées; Side Dishes, Soups and Stews; and Desserts and Sweets.
It’s one of the most all-encompassing plant-based cookbooks in terms of the breadth of meal types, and it’s packed with staple recipes from a variety of cuisines, including Jambalaya, Irish Potatoes with Cabbage, Chana Masala, Macaroni and No Cheese, and Black Bean Enchilada Bake. This book is a must-have for anyone who’s looking to make the transition to a plant-based lifestyle. The recipes are approachable, quick, and incredibly satisfying. Seasoned plant-based eaters will also find a frequented spot on their cookbook shelf for this one, as Kim’s recipes are well-crafted and reliable. Take these Crunchy Chickpea Tacos for example…
These came together in a quick 15 to 20 minutes and they are seriously amazing. Mashed chickpeas are tossed with carrots, cabbage, red onion, scallions, poblano, chili powder, lime juice, and a dollop of Kim’s homemade vegan mayo before being nestled into crunchy taco shells and garnished with avocado and cilantro. These days, I rarely make recipes that aren’t for the blog or book, but I’ve actually made these tacos twice in the last two weeks because they’re packed with flavor and easy to toss together in a pinch.
The PlantPure Nation Cookbook is available now, and you can grab yourself a copy here.
And before you go, be sure to jot down the recipe for these Crunchy Chickpea Tacos AND enter to win a copy of The PlantPure Nation Cookbook (see below).
Crunchy Chickpea Tacos from PlantPure Nation
Crunchy Chickpea Tacos
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup seeded and small diced poblano pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked in water to cover for 2–3 hours, then drained
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon tahini
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)*
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Shape the tortillas by placing them in a nonstick oven-safe bowl and baking them in the oven until crispy, 5–10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork and sprinkle with the chili powder. Add the cabbage, carrot, red onion, poblano pepper, green onion, cilantro, mayonnaise, and lime juice. Mix thoroughly, adding salt last.
- Divide the salad mixture among the taco bowls and top with the sliced avocado. Add Sriracha if you like your tacos spicy.
Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise
- Soaking the cashews in water for a few hours will reduce blending time. If you are not using a Vitamix, I highly recommend soaking the cashews so they blend into a smooth and creamy texture.
- Place all the ingredients in a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and shiny.
The PlantPure Nation Cookbook Giveaway
One winner will receive a copy of The PlantPure Nation Cookbook. For a chance to win, simply enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter widget below and comment on this post between June 12th and June 26th. Please note: this giveaway is only open to residents of the US and Canada.