Of all the amazing dishes brunch has to offer, it’s hard to rank anything above breakfast potatoes, and these crispy vegan breakfast potatoes with garlic-herb oil are top-notch. They’re…
These crispy vegan breakfast potatoes are all that and a touch more thanks to a simple but flavor-packed drizzle of garlic-herb oil. The garlic-herb oil is a splash of olive oil that’s been heated along with garlic, rosemary, and chili flakes. Heating the oil brings out all of the flavors in the garlic and herbs and creates the most wonderful aroma. It’s one of those scents that draws people into your kitchen to offer up questions and declarations such as, “What are you cooking??? It smells amazing!” This is the best kind of inquisitive behavior.
To make these breakfast potatoes, you’ll start by cubing two russet potatoes (skins on) and adding them to a pot of water. After you’ve brought the pot of water to a boil, you’ll let the potatoes cook for two minutes, drain the potatoes, and run them under cold water to stop the cooking. Then, you’ll melt some coconut oil in a large skillet and add the potatoes into the pan in a single layer. The key to getting the potatoes crispy is to let them sit without interruptions (i.e., keep that spoon in the spoon rest and let the taters sizzle).
Then, you’ll carefully flip the potatoes and continue to cook them for several minutes before adding in the garlic-herb oil. Once the oil has been added, continue to cook the potatoes on each side until they’re golden, crispy, and packed with flavor. The last step is a generous sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper, and then it’s time to sink your fork into each little, golden, herbacious, garlicky morsel. Yum and a half.
Crispy Vegan Breakfast Potatoes with Garlic-Herb Oil
These crispy vegan breakfast potatoes are all that and a touch more thanks to a simple but flavor-packed drizzle of garlic-herb oil. The garlic-herb oil is a splash of olive oil that's been heated along with garlic, rosemary, and chili flakes. Heating the oil brings out all of the flavors in the garlic and herbs and creates the most wonderful aroma. It's one of those scents that draws people into your kitchen to offer up questions and declarations such as, "What are you cooking??? It smells amazing!"
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds), thoroughly washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (leave skin on the potatoes). Add the potato cubes to a large pot that's been filled with cool water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, boil for 2 minutes. Drain water and run potatoes under cold water to stop cooking.
- Make the garlic-herb oil by adding the olive oil to a small skillet along with the minced garlic, rosemary, and chili flakes. Heat over medium-low and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add the coconut oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the potato cubes, forming a single layer over the pan. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook, untouched, for 5-7 minutes. Carefully flip the potatoes over and cook another 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic-herb oil and continue to cook other sides until each cube is golden and crispy (about another 10-15 minutes).
- Season generously with sea salt and black pepper and serve.