It appears that I’ve been on a bit of a sweet/smoothie/snack kick! If you’re awaiting some savory recipes, hold tight; there will be plenty of those in the upcoming weeks. For now, just kick back and enjoy these ooey, gooey, sweet, and slightly spicy carrot cake energy bites. You’ll be lucky if you can form this mixture into balls before devouring every ounce.
Medjool dates are tossed into a food processor with carrots, walnuts, oats, hemp seeds, and a mouthwatering combination of sweet spices. The mixture is sticky, dense, and bursting with all the necessary carrot cake flavors (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg). It normally takes me a couple of tries to get a recipe right, but this was one of those recipe-miracle moments when the food processors align and this deliciousness came to be on the first try. I actually squealed with excitement when I tasted the mixture. It’s just so carrot cake-y, healthy, and flavorful. I highly recommend that you spoon some straight into your mouth prior to rolling the mixture into balls because why wouldn’t you? There is no good reason to let that moment of carrot cake indulgence pass you by unappreciated.
Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Medjool Dates
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots tip: you can quickly shred carrots by tossing them in a food processor and pulsing
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Pulse 5-7 times and then process until a thick mixture forms and begins to roll into a large ball. (tip: if the mixture is too wet from the carrots, add more dates until the mixture is sticky enough to form into balls).
- Form into 14-16 balls and pop in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Enjoy and store leftovers in freezer.