This vegan blissful blueberry + buckwheat granola is everything. Oats, buckwheat groats, blueberries, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinnamon, and cardamom are coated in a delicious, caramel-hued mixture of almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt. The mixture is then spread over a baking pan and toasted to perfection in the oven. Gourmet granola from the comforts of home.
If ever there were a reason to overuse the word blissful on a blog that’s already titled Blissful Basil, this granola is it. I nearly called this recipe “Life-Changing Blueberry + Buckwheat Granola” because it is just that amazing, but that title might be a twinge over the top. That is, until you’ve had the chance to taste these nutty, crunchy bits of happiness.
A slew of good-for-your heart, soul, and health ingredients — oats, buckwheat groats, blueberries, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinnamon + cardamom, to be exact — are coated in a delicious, caramel-hued mixture of almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract + a pinch of salt. The mixture is then spread over a baking pan and toasted to perfection in the comfort of your very own oven. Snazzy, right?
The scent that wafts from the granola as it bakes is pure bliss. There I go again with the B word. But nothing, my friends, compares to the taste + texture of these crisp bundles of granola joy. There are few words dazzling enough to describe the loveliness of this granola.
Am I being slightly over-the-top about my infatuation with this recipe? Perhaps, but perception is reality, right? My perception, which is speaking quite loudly and clearly, says that this granola is pretty Awesome. With a capital “A”.
We, as in Dan and I, went through almost all five cups of this granola in three days flat. We must be sleep walking and consuming second dinners/pre-breakfasts during the wee hours. That, or Jack (our orange tabby cat), has some serious catnip-induced granola cravings. Who in the world knows where this granola has gone? All I know is that it is blissful, mysterious, and disappearing. Catch it while you can.
Blissful Blueberry + Buckwheat Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup creamy unsalted almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, buckwheat groats, dried blueberries, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Melt the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt in a saucepan over low heat until melded together. This will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the warm mixture over the dry ingredients and gently toss to evenly coat.
- Line a large jelly roll pan with parchment paper or a silpat and spread the granola mixture evenly across the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to toss and turn the mixture over. Bake another 8-10 minutes or until the granola just begins to turn golden. It's best to go by scent, so when your oven starts wafting that warm, toasted smell it should be about done. The granola will not be crisp and crunchy until it has cooled completely, so don't go by texture or you'll end up with burnt granola!
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the mixture cool completely. I like to transfer the parchment paper or silpat from the hot pan to a cool counter so that the granola stops baking immediately upon leaving the oven.
- Once the granola is completely cool, break it into pieces of desired size.
- Store the granola in an airtight glass container to maintain its crunchiness.
Raw buckwheat groats are white and green. Do not use pre-toasted buckwheat as it has a completely different flavor.
I love storing granola in mason jars -- they keep it crispy and easily accessible.