These beet + mango rice bowls with sesame ginger vinaigrette pack a punch of flavor and a kick of nutrients to boot. Sticky sushi rice is topped with roasted golden beets, juicy mango, refreshing cucumber, and creamy avocado. A drizzle of tangy sesame-ginger vinaigrette and toasted sesame seeds offer the finishing touch!
After a long and chilly winter (is it over yet?), this meal tastes and looks like summer in a bowl.
If you’re craving sunny days and a warm breeze as much as I am, I hope this bowl sends a ray of sunshine beaming into your kitchen.
It’s not fussy or complicated to make and yet its bright, zesty bite packs a punch of something special.
To make these simple, sunshiny bowls, you’ll start by roasting up a few beets.
I prefer golden beets (or chiogga) for this recipe (red beets will stain everything else in the bowl, so beware if you take that route).
Wash, trim, and scrub the beets. Then, wrap each individually in foil. Place all the wrapped beets in a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes.
While the beets roast, prepare one cup of sushi rice or short-grain brown rice according to package instructions. Then, get to work on the remaining elements of the bowl.
Dice up some fresh, juicy mango.
Thinly slice a couple of scallions.
Julienne a small cucumber.
Pit, peel, and slice a firm-ripe avocado.
And prepare the dressing by whisking together rice vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, sesame oil, and minced ginger.
Once the beets have finished roasting, peel away their skins and cut each into cubes.
Then, divide the rice between two bowls and top with the beets, mango, cucumber, scallions, and avocado. (If you’re feeling extra colorful, add a small sprinkle of shredded red cabbage, too.)
Finally, drizzle each bowl with the sesame-ginger vinaigrette, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and serve.
Beet + Mango Rice Bowls with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette
- 3 medium beets, yellow or chiogga if possible, stemmed and scrubbed
- 1 cup sushi rice or short-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 firm-ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- 2 scallions, trimmed and julienned
- 1 small cucumber, trimmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 small firm-ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Tightly wrap each of the beets in foil and place them on a small baking tray. Roast for 40–50 minutes, or until fork-tender. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Prepare the mango, scallions, and cucumber. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together the rice vinegar, tamari, maple syrup, sesame oil, and ginger. Set aside.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, unwrap them from the foil. Then, gently peel away the skins and cut into cubes.
- To serve, scoop a bit of rice into each bowl and top with the beets, mango, scallions, cucumber, and avocado. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.