Oldies are always goodies, and the classic Caprese Salad provides no exception to this rule. However, from time to time, even an oldie needs an update to rejuvenate its appeal. Take, for example, ABC Kitchen's sassy remix of this classic; the addition of serrano chiles, mint, and red wine vinegar fuses flare with simplicity to create a salad that comforts and surprises the senses. I love the kick that the serrano chiles add, and the red wine vinegar cuts the richness of the ciliegine perfectly. Seek out the freshest tomatoes you can (shouldn't be too difficult given that tomato season is in full bloom), splurge on high quality ciliegine, and use that fancy Fleur de Sel you've had tucked away in your cupboard. Hey, you give a little, you get a lot.
ABC Kitchen's Caprese Salad (Serves 4)
Recipe retrieved from Tasting Table
* 2 ¼ pounds heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
* 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
* 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
* 8 mint leaves, thinly sliced
* 6 ounces ciliegine (cherry-sized mozzarella)
* 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tbsp plus 1 ½ tsp red wine vinegar
* Coarse sea salt
* freshly ground black pepper
* 1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the heirloom tomatoes with the cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the basil and mint over the tomatoes and add the mozzarella. 2. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the tomatoes and mozzarella and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the coarse sea salt over the salad. Garnish with the chile slices and serve immediately.