This toasted hazelnut salted caramel smoothie may sound like and even taste like a dessert, but it’s got a lot to offer to your morning routine.
It garners its caramel notes from Medjool dates, which weave their natural sweetness throughout every last drop. A pinch of mineral-rich pink Himalayan sea salt draws out their full potential, unveiling the depths of both their sweetness and rich caramel flavor.
Toasted hazelnuts lend a creamy, almost soothing quality to this smoothie, flecking its surface with a warm and nutty glow.
This seemingly decadent smoothie offers a generous dose of healthy fats, potassium, fiber, folate, vitamin e, copper, and manganese. It’s naturally sweetened, offers a nudge of plant-powered protein, and has the most delightful nuttiness. So whether you call it dessert or call it breakfast, one thing’s for certain: it’s a surefire way to perk up any moment of the day. Get sippin’.
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 frozen banana
- ¾ cup unsweetened plant-based milk*
- 2 to 3 soft Medjool dates, pitted**
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan sea salt
- ½ to ¾ cup ice (optional, to cool and soften the flavors)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and spread the hazelnuts evenly in a small baking tray. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the hazelnuts are wafting a warm toasted scent.
- Add the toasted hazelnuts, frozen banana, plant-based milk, dates, vanilla, and sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and if desired, add the ice (to cool and thin the smoothie), and blend for another 30 to 45 seconds. Pour into a glass (or two) and serve immediately.
**If your dates are firm (as opposed to soft and gooey) and/or you don't have a high-powered blender, soak them in hot water for 30 minutes before blending.